Oral Health Practitioner
APPRENTICESHIP LEVEL 4 - 14 MONTHS
Oral Health Practitioner Level 4 Apprenticeship
Oral Health Practitioners have a high degree of autonomy and have responsibility for working directly with patients performing a range of oral health preventive procedure which involve working in a patient’s mouth. The Oral Health Practitioner role complements the role of other dental professionals and fits in the dental career structure a higher level than a dental nurse but below a dental hygienist, hygienist / therapist or dentist. Working to the direction of a dentist you will take dental bacterial plaque indices and debris scores, apply fluoride varnish, take clinical photographs, take impressions and carry out tooth brushing in the patient’s mouth. You will prepare and maintain the clinical environment, carry out infection control and prevention procedures, and prepare, mix and handle bio-materials. Often working alone in the community, you will deliver oral health prevention with patients, deliver oral health education and promotion to the public including clinical preventative advice interventions to targeted groups such as care givers for older people or ante-natal groups. You will provide integrated general, oral health advice and preventative treatments in line with treatment plans to the community your practice serves. You will work with early years groups, primary and secondary schools, in care homes, in ‘care at home’ situations, in the child and adolescent mental health arena, in hospitals, in general dental practice or other healthcare and community settings to provide services. This includes brief interventions such as targeted oral health advice to meet the needs of the individual. You will carry out general health screening activities, alongside oral health ones, to measure the holistic health of the individual you are working with eg checking for diabetes, blood tests or taking blood pressure. To become an Oral Health Practitioner, you must already be a dental nurse or other appropriate dental care professional registered with the General Dental Council e.g. an orthodontic therapist. You will work autonomously, including in people’s mouths, acting within your scope of practice and under referral of a registered clinician eg Dentist, Dental Hygienist or Dental Therapist whilst undertaking dental activities.
Day to day duties:
- work with people of all ages and cognitive abilities
- plan community-based schedules and arrange sessions with stakeholders
- prepare the clinical equipment and records for each session
- prepare and maintain a clinical environment, infection control and prevention and prepare, mix, and handle biomaterials on site –i.e. in the community setting
- check people’s mouths to take dental bacterial plaque indices and food debris scores
- use the dentist’s prescription to apply topical fluoride in the mouth
- take clinical photographs
teach people how to carryout personal care tasks e.g. assist someone to brush their teeth or keep their mouth clean and fresh
- carry out general health screening activities e.g. finger-prick blood tests to check for diabetes or take blood pressure
- offer information, advice, and guidance to people about their oral health and how to clean and maintain their teeth, gums, and mouth.
- give motivational sessions to support behaviour change and motivate people e.g. to give up tobacco or improve their diet to support their oral health and t their overall health and wellbeing
- refer people to a dentist or other dental health practitioner as required
- signpost people to other health professionals
What is Covered?
|You will be able to:||You will know and understand|
|Care of the Individual|
|Community based oral health|
with Government funding of 95% (non levy employers/SMEs)
full cost for levy payers
Why Partner With Us?
Certificate in Coaching & Mentoring
CERTIFICATE- LEVEL 5
Working in Partnership
Costs, processes and incentives
Find Out More
Send us a Message
Reach us on Social
Connect, follow and share with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, or Instagram.
Give us a call and chat through your options on 01202 612365